Friday, May 10, 2013

Fitness Month 5K (Another W)

I successfully defended my title as the reigning 5K overall female winner today.....

Which translates into

Fast is a relative term.

Seriously. I have a serious case of speed-envy for anyone who breaks 20:00 for a 5k (hell, I used to be sooooo jealous of people who could break 25 minutes- and then I worked my ass off and got there).

But being the overall female winner at 4 of the last 5 races on base has earned me a little reputation (which makes me blush like boiled lobster). It makes me a little uncomfortable because I know there are much faster people, heck, some are on base but rarely show up for these fun runs.

My whole point here is that fast is relative. I am fast by Miami County standards, and wicked fast by Grissom ARB fun run standards. But all I need to do to feel slow is to go south 20 minutes to Kokomo, and I am reminded just how relative speed can be. My NYE run, a PR at the time (25:15) didn't even get me a place for age group, and when you add all the females, I think I was somewhere like 19th place.

So, yeah. My husband's coworkers think I'm fast. I know I'm faster than I used to be, thanks to a year of hard work. But I also know to enjoy what is speedy for me, to take pride in my PRs, even if at the same time I am painfully aware that I'll never make a living as a runner.... though, I'm pretty sure that would take all the fun out of it anyway.

Tonight, I will bask in the glow of a course PR of 24:53, 3 seconds faster than the 5k I ran there just 4 weeks ago. And given I ran 4 quick-for-me miles yesterday, I'm pretty pleased with that.

1 comment:

  1. I qualify you as fast...fast for me was a 5k in under 30...hoping to improve upon that this summer! It IS relative, you're right...at least we mostly measure against ourselves though, right?

    ReplyDelete

FREE questions and comments! Complaints will be read for a nominal fee of $17,000.