Tuesday, December 4, 2012

It is what it is.

I got a phone call from my Lady Dr this morning. Not how I wanted to start the day.

She had gone over the pathology from my biopsy, and it's not great. I heard a lot of big medical terms, some I understood, some I didn't, but it comes down to that lovely C-word.  Technically, Stage 0 cancer.

I'll be honest, I didn't know there was such a thing as stage 0, but as far as I understand, it means the bad cells were localized and (hopefully) completely removed. The margins were NOT clear, but my Dr feels confident that the cauterization would have gotten the layer of invasive cells. I'm willing to bet on her confidence at this point.

I was given the option of what to do next: wait and retest in April, or go ahead with a full hysterectomy.

That's a pretty big decision to make before noon.

I'm choosing to wait. I want to enjoy the holidays. I want to feel healthy and normal for a few months. I've been reassured that waiting is safe, and so I will. I want to run the Circular Logic marathon in March. And then we'll deal with this.

As soon as I hung up, my crazy-runner brain thought of an upside: if it comes to worst-case scenario and parts get yanked, the timing is as perfect as it could get- April to May is my lull between marathon training! And, if need be, I don't really need to worry about training for the Air Force Marathon this fall until the 1st week of June since it's later this year than in the past!!


So, body of mine, if I must go under the knife, at least it will fall during a training lull. My health is my number one priority, but running is how I deal with stress and anxiety, so knowing that I won't be side-lined from my bigger goals is very reassuring. Makes the C-word comparable to shin splints. Or a strained ligament. You know, just another obstacle to overcome.

As my dad would say if he were still living, it is what it is. I hope I haven't horrified anyone by sharing; my hope is that those who also need strength, no matter the reason, can find theirs.


  1. Prayers that they did get all the C-cells.

  2. Your optimism is amazing. I pray that you have positive news come April!

  3. I had the same when I was 22 (I'm 37 now), what you wrote could have been my story (minus the marathons). Mine was cervical CIN-III. They told me I'd never carry a pregnancy to term and today I have 2 perfect, healthy little girls with no complications in getting or staying pregnant. Sending prayers and positive vibes your way. I know you don't know me really but if you have questions or want to vent / chat, I'm open to share my experience with you.

  4. It sounds like you have a great attitude about the situation and I'm sure it will be nothing to worry about and the retest in April will be clear.

  5. Bummer news. I am glad you are taking the time to consider carefully. It is a big decision whether you have to rush or not. Sending hugs and prayers your way!


FREE questions and comments! Complaints will be read for a nominal fee of $17,000.