Monday, June 3, 2013

Kicking Off Fall Marathon Training!!!!

If you've been following for a bit, you might be confused. Wait, didn't she just have major surgery 12 days ago?

Yes, I did. But, I've been feeling significantly better each and every day, and while I will respect the doctor's orders about no running, weights, or anything else strenuous, I am exploiting the permission to walk my little heart out.

For those of you just joining the fun, my name is Kasey and I am equally obsessed with running and crafting. I signed up for 2 marathons and an ultra this fall/winter before finding out I'd need major surgery and miss 6 weeks of training. I'm 12 days into my 42 day sentence recovery, and though I'm a little stir-crazy at this point, I'm staying positive and working towards those big running goals in any way I safely can and driving my husband nuts by trying to do too much. Right now, that's walking. 

Today marks Day 1 of fall marathon training. I walked a 5k in 53 minutes. In the last 8 days, I've walked 14 miles (and let's be honest, I've had some weeks where my running mileage wasn't that high!).

Because of surgery, though, plans for the fall have been adjusted. The Air Force Marathon will now be approached as a training run. I would have dropped down to the half, but it was full already.

Instead, I will be focusing on marathon glory during the Veteran's Marathon in Columbia City, IN, on November 9. Last year I celebrated my birthday with the Freedom half, so it seems fitting to run the Veteran's Marathon the week before my birthday this year!! 

My shoes miss me so much, they're practically jumping out of the storage cube!
Why did I pick this race? 
They had a KILLER New Year's Day special.... and the swag looks to be pretty spiffy (hello, it's a NB jacket!). 
It's close to home (Google says I can get there in about an hour).
It's being put on by some pretty amazing people (I volunteered after the Huff 10 miler last year at the 3RRC aid station, and I can tell you they are fun people!).
Day-of packet pick up. No wasted gas trying to make multiple trips! And, as far as races go, I can "sleep in" until almost 6 and still make it there on time. DOUBLE BONUS!

The half looks like a pretty fast course, so I'm pretty excited that the full will be 2 laps of that course (and we all know I have experience running laps after Circular Logic!). Think about it: you know what to expect, approximately where the aid stations are, etc. 

All in all, I can't wait to run this race. Frankly, right now I can't wait to get back to running! I hope these 6 weeks off will leave me refreshed, energized, and ready to blaze through it all.

But for now, I'll be walking here:


And doing a lot of this:

Cheers! I hope I see you there in November!!!

3 comments:

  1. Great job with the walking! My shoes miss me too. I did jog one mile the other day, I don't really count it as running yet since I was going so slow and I walked twice. It did feel pretty good though so I think I will try it again tomorrow.

    Glad you are doing so great with your recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo hoo! I am so amped about the double course. It will make it easier for my hubs to spectate but it cuts out the boring parts of the previous course. You are going to totally rock out the race, and I can't wait to see you finish (or you to see me finish as the case might be).

    ReplyDelete

FREE questions and comments! Complaints will be read for a nominal fee of $17,000.