Monday, July 2, 2012

Keeping calm

HSTs and 2.5" squares. I've got a lot more 2.5" strips I could chop up and finally use in this project!
The thing about procrastinating is that sometimes, I need it. Sometimes, I'll put off what I need to do and go for a run, simply because running clears my head so well and leaves me feeling fresh, calm, and with all the anxiety gone as if it had left through each gallon drop of sweat.

But on days like yesterday and today, where running until exhaustion would be counter-productive, sewing fits. Stitching those triangles yesterday helped me stay calm, and inevitably helped me sleep well. Today, in between last-minute practice, I've pair the HST's with some scrap squares and made split 16 patches.

And, I feel remarkably calm. Perhaps it's because I feel prepared, perhaps it's because it's essentially just dancing and I know I can wing it if necessary, or perhaps it's because I know (and LOVE) the core value of Zumba is to have fun. The exercise is almost the afterthought. So, as long as my class has fun today, I'll have done my job. Burning 400 (or many more calories just happens along the way.

Regardless, taking sewing breaks is helping me stay calm, focused, and at ease. Which is something I never could have said 7 years ago. And, as a by-product, I'll have another quilt eventually. Which, we all know, you can never have too many works in progress quilts!

1 comment:

  1. Your blocks look great! I've been too sick to run for the past week, so sewing took its place. It's nice to have 2 hobbies (obsessions?) that can both clear your head, depending on your current level of energy. Good luck with the class today, I'm sure you'll do great!

    ReplyDelete

FREE questions and comments! Complaints will be read for a nominal fee of $17,000.