Saturday, June 7, 2014

Vega Performance Protein Review

Vega Bar Blogger photo Badge_Vega200_zps53a557dd.png


I was given the opportunity to sample Vega through Fit Approach. When my samples arrived, I was beyond excited- do you know how difficult it is to find a protein powder that does not contain carrageenan, gums, and other thickeners (to which I'm allergic)???? AND NO PEANUT??

Yeah. I was stoked.


The first thing I did when it arrived was check out the ingredients:

I always verify ingredients on the label to make sure I didn't miss an allergen. Thankfully, I'm not allergic to anything here!

Next, it was time to taste. The protein arrived 2 days before the Indy Mini Marathon, so I tossed a packet in my overnight bag to take with me. Vega's current campaign is called Fuel Your Better, and since I planned on three half marathons in May, the timing seemed just right.

Check it out- they explain many of the common training complaints-sore legs, slow recovery- and how you can take steps to alleviate them. Seriously, check it out! I'll wait.....
Ok, you back? Cool.

After the Indy Mini, I poured a pouch into my blender bottle and added about a cup of water, shook it up, and tasted.... Well, it wasn't bad. Definitely not too sugary. The chocolate notes of the flavor were good. But there is a strong undertone of grassy-leafy-plant flavor. But it wasn't bad. 

Taste test number two: the next week, I ran another half marathon. This time, I used only about half the water. It still tasted "green" (by that I mean like plants), but definitely better with less liquid.

The third time, I added it to a cup of milk. Yes, cow's milk. I am clearly not a vegan, and adding dairy to a vegan protein powder is probably sacrilege to some of you, but a girl's got to do what a girl's got  to do. It tasted much better with milk, dare I say good? So, for those of you who are vegan, perhaps adding soy milk or almond milk instead of water would make it more palatable if you have an issue with the taste.

Perhaps my favorite way to consume it from my tests? MUFFINS!!!!!
I used this recipe, except I cut the flour to 3/4 cup, the cocoa to 1/3 cup, and used one whole pouch of Vega performance protein (which is about 1/3 cup... ish). I also used whole wheat flour instead of all purpose, and threw in a tablespoon of chia seed, because I can. They made the whole house smell like chocolate doughnuts! And they taste like chocolate doughnuts. Yum!!!!!!!


To sum it up: I would recommend Vega performance protein based on its limited ingredients and sound nutritional base. If you are vegan or used to consuming "healthy" tasting products, the taste probably won't be an issue; however, if you are used to sweeter products, this one is not for you.

I would recommend experimenting to find the proper ratio of liquid-to-powder, and trying different liquids with which to mix it.

So, tell me: how do you Fuel Your Better?

Protein: yes or no? Favorite flavor? I'll try chocolate-flavored anything.


Disclosure: I was given the product for free; all opinions are 100% my own. I do not receive any compensation for purchases made through the links provided. This review is meant to inform and hopefully entertain.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FREE questions and comments! Complaints will be read for a nominal fee of $17,000.