I made great progress on my Made In Cherry QAL, after having been stalled on Wednesday from a massive migraine.
I've been sewing while the dishwasher and washing machine and dryer run. I did vacuum, too, but that caused me to stop sewing for a bit.
Today, I got the 6th point pieced, and then, in my excitement, added the solid grey all around three sides.
|Isn't it funny how the color changed in these photos from morning to afternoon?|
All that's left are two points and their solid pieces (which are already cut).
I'm using the Denise Schmidt prints I picked up last summer along with a few more recent ones that I picked up this January (wish I had known more were coming out the week after I finished piecing the middle of this, though!), along with Kona slate.
A note for anyone else using Kona cotton: I don't know if it's because I prewash or what, but my solid was not the needed 43" wide that the pattern called for (honestly, when I bought it, I didn't check). No big deal, though- I simply cut 20.5" strips, then used a completed point to guide me kind of like a giant Easy Angle ruler (which I used in the main part of the pattern, anyway, rather than having to use those silly 7/8" measurements). I was able to get 4 HST's from each giant strip, and frankly, it made me pretty darn happy to not have bias edges along the outside like the pattern ends up as written!
I really like this quilt. It is simple, yet has a big impact. And the squares are big enough that I don't feel like I"m losing any of those gorgeous prints. The rate I'm sewing, I need to start thinking about what color for binding, backing, and how I'll quilt it!
I'm becoming more of a fan of patterns lately. While I absolutely adore designing my own quilts, sometimes a certain pattern and a chunk of my stash seem to be destined for each other.
Which is why once this one is done, I'll start Swooning. :D
Happy weekend, everyone!