Tuesday, September 10, 2013

the taper...

So, I have been "enjoying" the taper in a similar fashion as last March- chilled out, mostly relaxed, excited for race days, and sniffles galore!

But, where last spring I knew it was a cold/flu and therefore would end, this time it's allergies... which won't end until we get a massive rain or it freezes. So I've been sniffling, sneezing, and apologizing everywhere I go for my chapped, nasty nose.

The interesting thing is that all year, my allergies have been the best ever- as in minimal impact, if any. And then I ate something that caused a severe allergic reaction on Wednesday evening, which then caused every other allergy I have to flare their ugly heads. So not only have I been sneezing and sniveling, my skin itches everywhere (especially my poor underarms- which REALLY sucks when I exercise) and my eyes look like they belong in a Visine commercial.

So much fun. PLus, the drainage makes me lose my voice. My poor yoga class yesterday (several of them first timers) struggled to hear every cue even though I felt like I was yelling.

The upside that all these allergy issues have made it easier to forget I have marathon #3 in 11 days.

ELEVEN DAYS! EEEK!

I guess I better suck it up and run this afternoon... even though it's going to be 96 degrees! UGH.

Lest you think I'm only allergic and whiny these days, I have been having fun:

You know you're a runner when your bike night outfit consists of a race tee and a running jacket!
 We rode down to Indy with some of the guys from the unit on Saturday night, and had a snack (and I had some Smithwicks's) at the Tilted Kilt. Don't get me started on their waitresses- it was blatantly obvious who in the crowd picked the venue. But it was tons of fun.

My new strategy to battle helmet hair is to wear a sparkly headband underneath.

Anyone else wear some of their running apparel for motorcycle riding (or other non-running activities)?

I often wear my reflective gear while I'm on the back of the bike. I'd rather be highly visible and dorky than a splat on the road!

Taper crazies... do you freak out, or just go with it?

At this point, it is what it is. I'd rather be undertrained and well-rested than exhausted or injured. I get phantom pains sometimes, but for the most part, I enjoy the taper (minus colds and allergies, that is!).

1 comment:

  1. So sorry about your allergies. Hope you get some relief soon!

    ReplyDelete

FREE questions and comments! Complaints will be read for a nominal fee of $17,000.