Sunday, September 5, 2010

Tedious= Rewarding

I did not sleep well last night. Sadly, it was mostly due to allergies and obsessive thinking about the project I started last night. Have you ever been to excited to see how something turns out (or if it will even work) that you can't sleep?

Well, I got up this morning and resumed working on the pieces I had cut last night. I cut a few strips from the stash fabric, then began piecing... and piecing.... and piecing...

I used the little box to hold the pairs so that each "goose" would match on either side.
I spent a couple hours working on it this morning before I went to JoAnn's and treated myself to some clearance fabrics (I may be a member of Stashbusters, but I am still building a stash in some respects... joining Stashbusters was something of a preemptive strike, at least to help keep control since we hope to be moving soon!). I also bought 2 tools-- Tri-Recs and Easy Angle-- which, frankly, is also a treat. But, i am forcing myself to wait to play with them (Cathedral Stars are calling...) until after this top has been finished.

Progress as of 9 p.m.
I think I am about 2/5 done... I know I'm not quite halfway, but I also know I'm close to halfway, so we're going with 2/5 done. Right now, there are 8 rows and 9 columns. I altered the pattern from the book so that there are three segments with three columns going the same direction... the original had every other row going the opposite way. The original also used 3 1/2 inch strips, not 2 1/2, but I'm working with what I have and the point was to use the pretty jelly roll I bought as a treat a month ago.

Along the way, I have discovered a problem with precuts: My allergies! The finish on the fabric is making my hands itch, and this morning I rubbed my face and eyes while sewing which left bright red blotches until I showered. I wish they wouldn't put a finish on fabric!!! I go through this with clothes, and have to wash EVERYTHING before I can wear it, so out of habit I ALWAYS wash fabric first. recuts thus present a problem, since I don't want them to fray. Sigh.

On the bright side, I do LOVE the way this project is turning out. I'm even using the cut-off triangles from the flying geese to make squares which, if I have enough, will become a border (or at least be worked into a border). Waste not, want not!

I think I shall go sew a little more before heading to bed, hopefully for better sleep tonight. The quilt shouldn't keep me up since I see what it's going to look like and I love it. Maybe the allergies will abate enough so i can breathe to sleep... I can dream, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

FREE questions and comments! Complaints will be read for a nominal fee of $17,000.